Sunday, October 31, 2010

Are there Bridezillas

I was recently talking to a reporter for an on line blog about the wedding profession and how I deal with "bridezillas". I'm sorry but in the 10+ years I've been doing weddings I really haven't met one of these people. I think the term bridezilla was coined by Fox 40 or some other sleeze news station. I frequently get calls from networks, offering to buy my footage of bad brides. First of all, I would never...NEVER put my clients in that situation. And second, I can't think of a time when I had footage of a bride or groom acting in a way that would make a network interested.

Reality check. Brides these days are intelligent and organized. They read articles about different types of wedding and know what they want. When they come into the studio and talk with me or with my photographers, they have an idea. Of course there will always be the ones who go way left or right, but isn't that what "their day" is all about? I once had a bride who wanted to have her husbands tractor drive them off to the music "she thinks my tractor's sexy" I suggested she steal his boots and paint them white, she went even further and put rhine stones on them, it was a kick! The video was great and everyone loved it. Do what your vision tells you! Have fun. (oh yeah...I hope you're doing well, write and say hello sometime).

I was asked what the hardest bride to work with was. Sorry, once again the only dumb question is one that is asked by a reporter trying to "make a story". I like it when my clients ask questions. I was once asked what we wear to a wedding. I think that was a very intelligent question. I suspect the client had no clue but was setting a base line for when she spoke with other vendors. Do I have insurance, can they pick their own music, yes ask away. If a vendor gets annoyed with all the questions then you should seriously ask why and maybe move on. Insulting a client with an attitude of "hey I can't believe you are asking this" or "do you have any idea what my job entails" is strange and not professional. My feeling is, for the 9 hours you hire me to shoot your wedding, you own me. If you want me to shoot the puppy running down the street, then watch out puppy the production company is moving your way! Of course I frown on things like getting naked or killing someone, unnecessarily of course.

One thing about new vendors who move up the ladder quickly, and gain an attitude have to remember. We do weddings nearly every week (if we're lucky)...couples don't. We need to guide, give suggestions, show what others have done, but not act as if the client should see us as the last word, or that we should not be questioned. I leave that attitude for my doctor...OH NO there goes all the physicians weddings....darn it.

So, I keep looking at the magazine to see when my interview will publish. It's been over 6 months and nothing. I think I might have been too up front. Oh well, this is my soapbox and I get to publish my thoughts. Now I just have to figure out how to connect it to my website so others can see it.

Keep asking questions, keep reading articles. A well informed bride is a great client. There are no dumb questions there are no ugly brides! Just old fat videographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment